Tuesday, November 1, 2011

30 Days of Thankfulness

I'm going to try something this month.  I'm am going to post something I am thankful for each day of November.  That's 30 things.  That shouldn't be too hard since I have 30 family members!    In all seriousness, I am going to try to be creative.  Reach deep down and find something that you might not usually think about.  

I will mainly post on Facebook, but I'll try to catch up here every few days.

Today's post on FB:

Seeing all your posts about too much candy gives me another reason to be thankful for the neighbors we have!
Let me explain:  Each of our neighbors is extreme conservative.  (If you aren't from the area, we have 5 different Amish/Mennonite sects surrounding us.)  So, if we attempted to Trick or Treat, they wouldn't open the door.  And, it would be real awkward since they wouldn't be prepared to give us a treat.  (Also, it's the easy answer we can give when we are asked why we don't trick or treat. If you want the deeper version, you just need to ask)
 But, it's not just at Halloween that I'm thankful for our neighbors.  Our street feels safe.  The kids are too busy with chores and family life to get into trouble.  They are taught manners, hard work and about Jesus.  (Too name a few.)    I know my kids won't be coming home from playing with the neighbors with  ideas that don't meet up with our life.  (Minus the time my oldest who was 4 came home crying saying " did you know only boys wear pants?")  We benefit from their gardens in the summer.  The don't that my husband has a menagerie of loud, invasive animals.  Sunday's are quiet!  (When we first moved, one said they noticed we were quiet Sundays and she was thankful for neighbors.  Although, my hubs will mow the lawn after he sees their van or buggy leave for church.)   As are most other days.  When I need a cup of sugar, help is only a phone call away.   I almost forget how it was at our last house.  Flanked by feuding neighbors and pot house.
I am so blessed.  Writing it down makes me realize how much!

Be thankful!

1 comment:

  1. This is a great idea Mary! And, I love how you expanded on one of your thankful things and shared a story that took a closer look at why you are thankful in that way. I'll keep checking back for more of your list. :)

    ReplyDelete