Wednesday, June 6, 2012

I have an Old-Timer in the House!

Last day of 1st grade for Sweet Pea!  And, it was hard to get her out the door.  She was putting her shoes on at the bus stop.  Thankful the morning stress/crunch will take leave for a few months!

 I was very afraid (yes that is the right word) to send my girl to public school.  Hubs and I both attended private school with good experiences.  However, we don't agree on school funding.  I hear that's pretty common.  My biggest worry was the kind of influence these teachers would have on my child.  And, what would she be learning from the other kids?  That still greatly concerns me.

My have always wanted to be an involved parent.  Helping where I can.  Knowing my child's teachers.  They make huge imprints on little lives!  I am not going to shove my kids on the bus and let someone else worry about them until 3:30.  I was pleasantly surprised to see that our school allows and greatly encourages parent interaction.  The teacher's appreciate your help.  They don't mind if you eat lunch with your child every once in a while.  You are welcome to stop by and drop a note in their locker or say, "Hi".  Birthday treat?  Yep, bring it!  Volunteer?  Please do!

I have really enjoyed getting to know some of the Sweet Pea's friends.  Here are a few of them on their field trip in April.

 Today I got their 1 1/2 hours before the end of the day.  The poster (below) was only 1/3 completed for each of 17 students.  So with the help of 4 adults working feverishly we were able to finish the interview with the child, laminate and cut the posters.  And, have a party for the summer birthdays.  She is one ambitious woman!
 Sweet Pea's teacher is so sweet.  I didn't get a picture with her this year. And at the end of the day her face was red with tears and I'm sure she didn't want a picture taken. 
Sweet Pea will have her again next year.  She is in a Multi-Age class of 1st and 2nd graders.  New-timers and Old-timers.  She is pretty stoked to be an Old-timer next year.  She already knows the routine and who 1/2 of her classmates are so there should be less stress in August. 

So, now that I will have 2 kids in school should I apply for the PTO secretary opening?

No comments:

Post a Comment