Saturday, July 7, 2012

What Blooms

As Hubs roasts outside, doing who-knows-what, I am inside with the A/C running "Pinning", editing pictures and blogging.  Poor guy!  I know he loves the heat and all...but, I think it's time to come inside and cool off!

I've decided to give you a photo tour of my flowering greenery.

I love cat tails or Bulrushes.  These aren't flowering, but the spikes are coming out nicely.
We have 2 water lilies and only this one blooms.  The fish were jumping out of the water 'cause they thought I was going to feed them.  You can kinda see them swimming around under the lily.


Hubs loves how this annual crawls through the waterfall rocks.  I must have gotten the wrong species this year.  It's not creeping like it should.

Along the neighbors fence sits one of my Hydrangea bushes.  The blooms amaze me.  They have variegations of blue, pink and purple.  On the same plant there are light pink, blue and purple blooms as well as these variegations.
I have been pulling this out every year.  The just come up where ever they please.  Apparently, this one got by me and grew to bloom.  Good thing.  They are pretty in the shade.  I just discovered they are a perennial as I was researching another plant.  I'll need to do some transplanting next spring.

Random Lily.  I must have planted them, but where they are...it's so random.  The red "firework" is Bee Balm.  I think the plant is ugly and they are tall.  But, they always bloom that gorgeous spiky flower around July 4.  Gotta keep them.

We have been planting Fairy Gardens the last few years.  Sweet Pea picked a vining geranium and a red rock for her fairy.  I don't like Geraniums, but, they are quite pretty. 

Honey Bee has 2 fairies in her garden.  They have moss, a rainbow rock and part of a flower pot.  Mysterious things happen in these gardens.  The fairies come and go at night.  Sometimes they play tricks and sometimes they leave treats.  ;)

OMW!  OMW!  I L-O-V-E HOSTAS!!!!  Yep, my favorite plant!  We have tons of shade and there are plenty of species of these!  I'm so thrilled to have a new area of complete shade to "decorate" with these gorgeous plants.  There is a downside.  All those flower spikes will need to be cut off  under the heat of August.  And, they attract spiders.  The greatest beauty and my biggest fear all wrapped into one!  (Did anyone else notice the are not as many spiders this summer?)

I remember my Mom talking about Mimosa trees at the home she grew up in.  Now I have 4!  They bloom this fluffy pinkness.  Kinda like Dandelion seed.  And they will fly off the tree  in a few weeks.  It's really pretty.

I love Snow Cap Daisies.  I discovered them when designing the gardens at our last house.  I just don't like the tall daisies that topple over.  These only grow 8-10".  (Top right) This plant and the red one below it are rock plants.  I don't know what they are called and haven't done real well for me that last few years.  I noticed today the green foliage plant is covered in pink buds!  The red foliage as a few red blooms.  Snapdragons are my favorite annual.  They take pruning, but they are gorgeous!  This is the first year at this property that I have them.  They need full sun and there is very little of that here.  The Zinnia is from seed I planted with Honey Bee around Mother's Day.  We have about 10 plants, but this is the only one blooming.

The roses are at it again.  I pruned all of the dead branches about a  month ago and here they are again!






Maybe next week I'll show you the potted arrangements I made.   I actually like them this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment