Friday, January 21, 2011

Fasting

Last week our church, as a whole, participated in a week long fast. Everyday had a different theme of what to be praying for. For a few weeks prior I was wondering what I should fast. I knew fasting food wasn't going to be an option, and I immediately thought of Facebook. (Or God put that in my head.) As soon as the thought entered my head I began to shake. There is NO way, absolutely NO WAY I can go a day without FB, let alone a week! Right then, I knew that was it! I didn't realize how much a stumbling block FB had become.

The Sunday before we started, as I was listening to the sermon, I wondered what God wanted for me out of this week. Was there something He wanted me to focus on for healing or breakthrough? Well, that afternoon, I found out.

Well, the week came and went and I didn't have the urge to check FB even one time! Amazing! My life does not revolve around what my friends are doing! It really does not benefit me to see who is cleaning and who is mad at the mailman and whose child pooped on the carpet!

So my next step? Take it to 21 days. Is it possible? You bet! Day 12 here. And you know that thing I'm asking for breakthrough, it has almost gotten worse. That or I am just becoming more aware. Or maybe Satan is working overtime to deter me. Or God is testing and trying me. I'm still figuring it out.

1 comment:

  1. You grabbed my attention with this title. Our church is wrapping up a 3 week period of prayer and fasting. I too didn't think I could do a food fast...I've never done a food fast before. But, I decided to 'fast' after dinnertime. (I usually snack a lot at night...really the equivalent of another meal.)

    Last year over Lent I gave up Facebook for 40 days. It was hard at first, but as it went on it actually felt quite freeing. I think I've fallen back into allowing the computer to suck up a lot of my time (especially since I added blogging into the equation), so I've been thinking about what I want to do this year over Lent.

    Anyway, you've got me thinking!

    ReplyDelete