Today we say goodbye to Grandpa. It's bittersweet. My Grandpa lived a good life. He worked hard, sacrificed much, and loved eternally. It is awesome to know that he has met his maker.
My earliest memories are of sitting at their kitchen table after church eating a big Sunday dinner. Then we spent a few hours at that same table playing memory or Carom or table pool. It was a special day when he would take us down to his Avon room and show off his collection. He taught each of us grandchildren how to play croquet.
As I lie awake in these early morning hours, my mind is imagining the sweet meeting between Grandpa and Micah. I can just see him bouncing Micah on his knee and sweetly saying, "Bah, bah, bah, bah", as he did to every baby. (I still vividly remember the day he met Sweet Pea and prayed a blessing over her.) There is a smile on my face right now. It's comforting to know he's there.
Before Micah's funeral I told the girls that funerals aren't for the deceased since they aren't here anymore. They are for the one's left here. A time for us to grieve, remember and say goodbye. Somehow it makes us mortal beings feel better. Seriously, what does a person standing in the presence of God want with a funeral? I mean at that point, what does anything else on this Earth matter? And we just can't fathom...
The song "Our God" by Chris Tomlin is constantly running through my head.
Specifically these lyrics.
Into the darkness you shine out of the ashes we rise
There's no one like you none like You!
Our God is greater, our God is stronger, God you are higher than any other.
Our God is Healer, Awesome in Power, Our God! Our God!
Our God is greater, our God is stronger, God you are higher than any other.
Our God is Healer, Awesome in Power, Our God! Our God!
And if our God is for us, then who could ever stop us.
And if our God is with us, then what could stand against.
And if our God is for us, then who could ever stop us.
And if our God is with us, then what could stand against.
What could stand against.
I'm not sure why these lyrics, but God put them there to remind me. Even though today is a little scary and I'm not sure what sorts of adversity we will face, God is ultimately the one who steers our lives. When we let Him.
Take care, Grandpa. We'll meet again. Thanks for watching out for Micah! I love you.
No comments:
Post a Comment