Well, I'm cleaning this morning and that post has been ringing through my head. I've been wanting to get on here and blog, but I had to give myself a goal or I wouldn't get any cleaning accomplished. So, as I wait for the floors to dry I will explain this post:
My one friend wants to smack me in the face because I prefer buying clothes for my girls than myself. My other friend wants to kick me in the shins for looking old. *sigh* Anyone want to be my friend?
So, I was laughing when I posted this. In fact, Hubs was very curious why I laughed so hard at the computer.
My two best friends had reverted to violent words to help me with my weaknesses. I know they were both joking. And, they know I need harshness to get a point across.
But, I must say I am looking older. I guess I should be. I've noticed the fine lines under my eyes and my eye lids are drooping. I have always thought 35 is the end of the road. Well, it's coming this year and it's something I am working through months before my birthday. (As I type I realize how crazy this sounds! I know a bunch of 40 & 50 somethings that are just gorgeous and awesome!)
The eye lids are hereditary. My Grandma had a very painful surgery and recovery because hers got so bad that she could only see straight ahead. My Mom had her eyelids tightened when she started bumping into things she couldn't see. My 20 something cousin had hers "done" last year because she was headed there. And, when I'm tired my left eye lid droops into my line of vision. So, I know it's a matter of time.
*Side Note: I just remembered that the father-in-law of the friend who wants to smack me spoke encouragement to me when my Mom had her surgery. He told me not to worry about the future. God has it in control. I remember being extremely fearful of that surgery.*
I have never been one to worry about being beautiful. You never would have caught me in a fetal position crying that I was ugly. Fat, yes, but not ugly.
I love changing up my hairstyle, color and cut. I think there has only been 1 time I didn't like my color/highlights/cut. I have had as many stylists as years I've been married. No fear! Just do it! It is something that can be changed and will change.
I enjoy finding clothes and piecing together outfits! For the most part, I dress for Hubs. I love seeing the enjoyment on his face when I give it my all. You will hear my say in a dressing room, "Will Hubs like this?" I went through a phase of, "I don't care if he does, I do." Those clothes didn't get worn a whole lot.
Is it confidence? Was it a persistent Mom who constantly told me I was beautiful? Is it the Hubs who tells me everyday I'm hot? Maybe it was me clinging to something positive about my body when I hated the middle section of it.
Or, is it another one of God's gifts that I take for granted?
Now, how do I teach my girls? What do I depict to them? Do I put too much time and emphasis on how I look? Things to think about...
We tell them often that they are beautiful. We are also honest when we need to be.
My shin-kicking friend gave me this verse:
All beautiful you are, my darling;
there is no flaw in you.
Song of Songs 4:7
Thank you, Father, for loving me and seeing me as a precious gem. All my inner ugliness and outer beauty.
And I could write an entire post on life on the other side...even with parents who tell you how beautiful you are. I'm glad you accept my harsh love. : )
ReplyDeleteMary you are beautiful. I was blown away with how awesome you looked for the photo shoot you used for Christmas cards. I think it's great that you dress with Mark in mind and that he tells you you are hot! You are a great wife and mother and your girls will get the right message because it's you that is teaching them. :) ~ Jill-20 something cousin :)
ReplyDeleteAw, now I feel bad for saying I would smack you!! :) I think you look AMAZING, and I can tell how proud Mark is of you. Way to be honest in this post! I think you look better than you did when you were 20! :)
ReplyDelete