Monday, January 16, 2012

New Year, New Me?

So last January 2nd I embarked on a new trail for a healthier me. 

My 9 months with my beautiful son made me realize that I needed a change in my physical health.  I don't believe that my poor choices for my health had any contribution to his demise.  Not in any way! 

But, I wasn't healthy.  My blood pressure was "borderline" and with each pregnancy it became elevated.   I was monitored for all the side effects from hypertension.  But, I could keep it under control if I stayed under a certain weight. (No numbers here!) 

Still, I wanted to get healthy.

In the past, I had tried to eat healthier, exercise, count calories and took pills to help.  I never lost much weight.  Before my 2nd child, my day wasn't complete without exercise.  I did at least 1/2 an hour 5 days a week.  But, it was never enough.

I knew my eating was out of control!

Enter: Jenifer Hudson and Weight Watchers.  What enticed me?  I could eat what I wanted.  Ok.  I didn't have to go to meetings thanks to Weight Watcher Online.  Great!  The cost: Free membership  and $17 a month.  Not much of an investment if it didn't work. 

I had planned to start for a few weeks and I couldn't wait to start after the holidays!  I was excited!  And, yet, I didn't believe I could do it!  I had failed many times.  I had tried for so long! 

I weighed in that first day, set a goal and went through the day extremely hungry!  Grr!  I'll never do it!  It didn't take long to realize that I absolutely had no idea what a portion was!  Wow!  They were small!  But, after 2 weeks I was still alive!  And, I enjoyed the new recipes!  And, finding new ways to make favorite foods healthier.

The shedding of 2-3 pounds a week was also wonderful!   I lost about 25 pounds consistently that way.  It took a little longer to lose the next 15.  By June I had lost 40 lb and 4 sizes!  I was the same weight I was when I got married.  And a size smaller.  (My wedding dress was too big!)
 
I didn't quite reach my goal.  I didn't exercise, but, had more energy and found myself on the couch less often.  I was in my "healthy" weight range.  But, just so. 

I got off the points system and was able to maintain the weight.  The holidays quickly approached and I planned to let myself go and enjoy the food. 

Bad idea!  I knew I would need to join again come January 2nd of this year.  I was totally sick of all the food and eating terribly by that point! 

All that to say, I am having trouble this time around.  I gained 10 lbs in 3 months.  I lost 5 lbs the first week on the program and gained 3 the 2nd week.   (Since I shouldn't be losing more than 3 a week, I'm not too disappointed!)

So, I'm hoping blogging about my next 20 lbs will help. 

Yep, I want to lose another 20. (Mom, I won't waste away to nothing!  I promise!)  I want to be WELL into my healthy weight range.  Not just on the edge. 

This time, I'm going to need to work harder.  Need to exercise.  Not excited about that.

I want to share some fun recipes I'm trying, post some of my favorite snacks, and give some exercise ideas. 

Maybe I'll even share my measurements.   I didn't take my measurements last time and really regret that.

I feel like I'm really sticking my neck out there.  And, it's kind of embarrassing.  Last year was really a private mountain I needed to climb.  This year, I think I need more accountability.

Thanks for going along with me.


3 comments:

  1. Proud of you for putting your self out there! You can do it!! I'll make you Zumba with me Friday : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. So that's how you did it! Good for you! But, I'll tell you, I always thought you looked fantastic. And, I had no idea you lost a total of 40 pounds. That is such a huge accomplishment.

    It's time for me to get back on track. The holidays threw me off more than I thought they would. I've still been 'celebrating' by allowing myself extra desserts and snacks. And, my weight loss has stopped and, ahem, reversed.

    We can encourage each other Mary! I have about another 20 pounds I'd like to lose too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you Mary. BTW, I think you look great! :) I exercise my butt off but just need to eat less... ugh, always a struggle. Thanks for the encouragement. I feel a bit more motivated today... Only 35 lbs to go...hahaha :) Oh, and along with Andrea, you can always zumba with me too (tuesday nights 7-8)!

    ReplyDelete