Thursday, December 15, 2011

Where is Baby Jesus?

Didn't I say I was going to blog about my bucket list?  And, here it is the 15th and I have yet to follow through! 

This Christmas is nuts!  crazy!  busy!  so not fun!

And, it makes me mad!  I usually love Christmas!  I love decorating, shopping, giving, baking and partying!  But, this year I just want to crawl under my electric blanket and wish for the 26th!

I don't seem to be alone!  Most moms I talk to are trying to keep their heads out of the water and catch their breath.

What is it?  What has Christmas become?  Where is baby Jesus? 

The girls have hidden baby Jesus.  'Cause that's what Grammy does!  "Anyway, Mom, Jesus isn't born 'til Christmas day!" 

But, I think He's been hidden somewhere in the dark corner of my heart.  :(

I have a bad attitude about certain things (bet you can guess) and I've allowed it to spill into my Christmas.  I am tons busier than I was at one time.  I've "burned out" in other areas. All of my own doing!

And, what's with all the "gimmes"!  I finally threatened to return all their gifts if they didn't stop wanting more!  I took my youngest shopping for her sister and all she said was, "I want that!", "Mom, get me that for Christmas!", "MOOOOM! Why aren't any of the gifts in the cart for me?"  grrr! 

I thought I tried to emphasize giving!  We participated in Operation Christmas Child.  We picked an "ornament" gift list off a tree at church to buy a less fortunate little boy a gift.  We went shopping for and dropped off food at a food bank.  I've even showed them pictures of hungry kids with swollen bellies that aren't even going to have food at Christmas!

I guess I need to give them a little credit for their age.

Then, this week something gave me hope!

One of our "bucket list" items was to make and take cards to Great Grandma and her friends living in a home nearby.

I explained that a lot of older people don't get to go out and enjoy Christmas like the rest of us.  And, many will not have a lot of visitors or family coming by.  So, the day after Thanksgiving, they started making cards.

My oldest drew pictures and wrote messages inside.  While my youngest put on stickers.  They worked on those cards for weeks.  And, they were precious.  Seeing their thoughts of Christmas through their creativity.  (Side note: there were very few Santas!)

Tuesday evening we went in carrying cookies, oranges and cards.  The girls were antsy with excitement!  They couldn't wait!  I heard one say, "I'm not going to by shy!  I'm going to tell them my name!" 

We were a little late and most people had gone to bed.  (It was 6:30. :)  )  But, we found 12 people up and socializing! 


It was so nice to see the smiles!  On the older people's faces and the girls' faces!  Blessing these people with a little bit of cheer.  One lady was rather grouchy and didn't accept the card too graciously.  So, we had a little lesson on loving and praying for unhappy people.  We don't know what they are dealing with.


The girls enjoyed blessing others.  They talked about it the whole way home!  And, my Grandma is the talk of her hallway! :)


So, maybe they are getting it!  And, I think baby Jesus and his message of  hope and peace was brought forefront in my heart. 


I'm looking forward to the next 10 days!  It's full of parties (none of which I am hosting!), gift giving, fun Christmas activities and baby Jesus loving. 


Enjoy your Christmas!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Mary. You and I are on the same page! I've gotten frustrated too that my boys can't seem to see past the 'getting' of Christmas & embrace a bit more of the 'giving'. But, I know they are young. I know eventually they'll catch on.

    I love that you took the girls into your Grandma's nursing home and blessed the residents that way!

    Out of all the craziness I've been experiencing this season, the time I have treasured the most so far is the times I take the boys with me to visit my Grandma who also recently moved into a home.

    It's times like that where I'm seeing glimpses of what Christmas really is, glimpses of Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, what a blessing you must have been to Grandma and "her friends". What a wonderful idea to get them involved! I'm glad that your Christmas is coming around to where you can enjoy it before it gets here and goes away so quickly. Merry Christmas! :) -Jill

    ReplyDelete