My morning started with the whine of little voices constantly asking the question, "When are we going to decorate?" "Umm, it's only 6:30. Can I finish my coffee?" By 8 a.m. the house was decorated. I really didn't realize I had so many cattails!
"Mooo-ooom, when are we going to do our hand prints?" We have a tradition I started when my oldest was 1 1/2 yrs. I purchased a vanilla colored pumpkins for each of them at Michael's. I use a mixture of fall colors, paint their hands and place a print. It's interesting to see their collection.
"Now let's make apple dumplings!" Whoa! Slow down! Fall just started! We'll get through our bucket list the first weekend! Well, this task is messy and I just ran out of patience. "Let's turn on the Cookie Break and dance!" While they were distracted I made the apple dumplings. They got to fill the apples and eat them. That's the best part, anyway!
And, yummo! They are in no way healthy! But, it's a once a year treat! And it is sooo worth the calories (points :) ) and the veggie menu for the rest of the day!
As requested, here is the recipe I use. Directly out of the Mennonite Community Cookbook.
Old-Fashioned Apple Dumplings
6 medium baking apples
2 cups flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup shortening
1/2 cup milk
Pare and core apples. Leave whole.
To make pastry, sift flour, baking powder, and salt together. Cut in shortening until particles are about the size of small peas. (I used butter, only because I was out of Crisco. It made the pastry much softer.) Sprinkle milk over mixture and press together lightly, working dough only enough to hold together.
Roll dough as pastry and cut into 6 squares and place an apple on each. Fill cavity in apple with sugar and cinnamon. (Mix sugar and cinnamon to taste. We like a lot of cinnamon. My mom would put red hot's in the apples for us.) Pat dough around apple to cover completely. Fasten edges securely on top of apple.
Place dumplings 1" apart in a greased baking pan.
Pour the following sauce over the top of the apples.
Combine 2 cups of brown sugar, 2 cups of water and 1/4 teaspoon each cinnamon and nutmeg. Cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add 1/4 cup butter
Bake dumplings at 375 for 35 - 40 minutes. Baste occasionally. Serve warm with milk. Or ice cream.




Sounds like a fun day. I was just thinking how it would be nice to have the girls here to help me with my fall decorating. Mom G.
ReplyDelete