One of the items I saw on a board was a "I'm Bored" jar. AWESOME IDEA!
The basic idea is to have a jar full of ideas for you kids to do when they say "I'm bored!". And, to get them to stop and think before saying "I'm bored", 1/3 of the papers have chores listed.
Well, this morning I did some research and research led to starting a list of go-to ideas. The ideas led to a 4 hour craft dilemma!
I scrounged for some fabric, emptied a jar, got out my mod-podge and set to work. First mistake: using mod-podge! The blog idea I followed used mod-podge on material. However, my material was thick, upholstery stuff. Messy!
Then it looked lumpy, pleated, frayed. So, I went for ribbon trim. I probably have 10 different shades of pink ribbon, but, thanks to my "A" for anal personality, none were the "perfect" shade.
Then it was on to printing and cutting up the list of ideas/chores. I had to find the "perfect" scheme/color. No luck!
Ok, now I needed a tag. But, I since I haven't scrapbooked in 2 years. I couldn't remember where my ink pad, stamps, and other supplies were. I searched 1/2 an hour for the things to make a simple tag!
Why did I start out making this? There was obviously a simpler way (1 clear jar, Sharpie and note paper with had written "fun things". Why was I being so anal? Because, that's how I've always been...you do not want to scrapbook with me! Finally I shouted, "Just make up your mind! It is not the difficult!"
And this is what I came up with...
And the girls love it! They were "bored" twice already today. That resulted in looking at our wedding and honeymoon album and right now one of them is painting beside me. Q-U-I-E-T-L-Y!!!
My list of fun things and chores include:
Coloring, jump rope, scootering, writing a letter to Grandma, cleaning your sister's bedroom, helping Mom with dinner, washing windows, organizing the bookshelf, playing a game, running around the house 5 times, doing 25 jumping jacks, reading in the hammock, and the list goes on.
I wish I would have had this a month ago, when school let out! But, I'll be using this all winter, too, I think.
Cute!! I'm probably going to copy you if that's ok!
ReplyDeleteAhahaha, your blog post sounds exactly like me. (Except I haven't blogged in over a year :( I tell myself the same thing, why am I so anal, are they really gonna look back at how perfect looking it was, or what a fantastic idea it was, and how they want to share it with their children!
ReplyDeleteI REALLY like the idea! I might do my version of it as well :) Oh and, what on green earth is "Pinterest"?
Jeremy's 1st. grade class made these for the craft at their end of the year party.
ReplyDeleteRachel