I have not been blogging about life, because, well, I guess I feel my life is boring. I am very busy, but who wants to hear the wiles of grocery shopping, potty training and tattle tailing? So I've decided to go deeper. Share more of what God is working on in me, and what I feel nudged to do.
I was reading a MOMSense Magazine this morning while walking on the treadmill. The first article was titled "Diving Deeper". The author gave an analogy of scuba diving in relation to our friendships. On the surface the waves knock you down and pull you away from your friend. Go a little deeper and the sharks and current pull you away. But, go even deeper and you are in the darkness, but you are together. You can see the sharks at a distance, but they cannot harm you.
I really felt challenged. It's at this deeper level where your true friends are. This is extremely unfamiliar territory for me. I grew up in a culture of hiding and suppressing your feelings. So when someone gets to "deep", I find something else to do or change the subject. I allow the current to pull me away. Is it because my "sharks" are worse than the others? Is it because they are too embarrassing? Is it a generational curse? I don't know. I need to figure this out.
I have a least one friend who will dive deep with me. Be patient, friend. I may need some nudging and there will probably be laughs and more than likely tears. But, in the end it will be truly rewarding.
Because it's only in the deep where true healing can begin.
Oh my word you better start the Color books right this minute. I think you will be pleasantly surprised : ) And I've got my scuba gear all ready...
ReplyDeleteI was so excited to see that you had on a new post! I'm right there with you Mary. I've been challenged too on diving deeper into relationships. For me, it seems motherhood is so consuming I have so little time to foster friendships. I was lamenting recently that I miss having 'Say anything' friends...I probably have one friend I can truly say anything to. But, the truth is, I have to be willing (and make the time) to go deeper. It's hard.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, I think your everyday stuff would be interesting too! :) I'm always so fascinated by how other people spend their days.