I cut off the stems and roots and threw them in a pot to cook until soft. About 30 minutes. After they cooled a bit, Sweet Pea and I peeled them. The skins fall right off without much effort. And our hands got quite stainted in the process.
I cut them up in bite size pieces and put them back in their juice along with 2 cups red wine vinegar, 2 cups sugar and 1 tsp salt. After they came to a boil I put the beets in pt jars and covered them with the liquid. Then process for 20 minutes.
3 hours later I had 7 pts of pickled red beets. Anyone for a red beet egg this winter?
Yay for a new post!! Matt will want some. He loves them too and I have no clue where to even begin to make them...until now. Please do not tell him you just gave me step-by-step instructions!!
ReplyDelete